EK, East Kilbride is a very family-friendly and safe place to visit. But losing a child, even for a few moments, can be very distressing. Our Child Safe Zones scheme can help reassure and get help fast.
Pick up a free wristband
A mobile number on a wristband is the simplest and quickest way to help a lost child. You can pick up a free wristband from Customer Services on the upper level of Centre West. These wristbands are bright, waterproof and tough, and can be used at EK, East Kilbride as well as other places.
Look out for Helpline window stickers
Keep an eye out for the bright orange balloon window stickers which carry our helpline number: 08700 62 18 58. If you lose a child or need to report an incident, ring this number and talk directly to our security and customer services team.
Teach your child what to do
It’s really easy for kids to get distracted in busy places. Most children are reunited very quickly, but a child is vulnerable while lost so it’s important to teach him or her what to do. Teach them, that if they do get separated, not to panic but to look for the nearest window sticker. Once they've found it they can look for a security guard, or a mum with children and ask her to ring the number, or go into the shop. If they're a teenager, let them know they can also call the number, if they need help.
- Stop, stand still and look - don’t run about.
- If you see the person you were with, go to them and hold their hand.
- If you're lost in a shop, go to the nearest till point and talk to a shop assistant. Most shop assistants will wear uniforms or badges.
- If in the centre, look for nearest orange balloon window sticker, and then look for a security guard (they'll be wearing a uniform), or speak to a mum with children and ask her to ring the number, or ask for help in the shop.
- Don’t go up to anyone else, and don't leave the centre.
How to prevent it happening
The best way to help a lost child is to try and prevent it happening In the first place.
- Encourage children to stay close to you.
- Use reins or wrist links.
- Don’t leave a child in an unsupervised play area.
- Write a contact number on a wristband (you can pick up one for free from Customer Services) or tag.
- Carry an up to date photograph.
- Make a note of what the child is wearing.
For more information about the Child Safe Scheme, get in touch with us on 0845 330 3828 or email [email protected]